James Cameron’s Titanic is 25 years old this year. To celebrate, 20th Century Fox and Paramount Pictures have put together an ultimate fan edition. If you love Titanic, you will love this specially boxed set filled with extras throughout.
By this point, it is probably fair to say that most people of a certain age are quite familiar with Titanic the ship and the movie, a film à clef, featuring outstanding performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. Bill Paxton, Billy Zane, Suzy Amis, and Kathy Bates are also excellent in their roles that take place on a searching vessel “today” and on Titanic in the days leading up to April 14th, 1912, when the ship was struck by an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the ocean in just a few hours. In this way, Titanic is a sort of ghost story, a romance, and a thriller all rolled into one.
DiCaprio plays Jack Dawson, a young hustler who wins two tickets aboard steerage class on the maiden voyage of the Titanic. Rose DeWitt Bukater (Winslet) is in first class with her fiancé Caledon Hockley (Zane, coming off as truly arrogant and smarmy). Rose (just 17) doesn’t want to marry Caledon (30) and makes her way to the front of the ship to jump overboard. In one of the movies’ most sexist moments (and there are a few – in part because of the time it takes place, and in part because of bad script choices), Jack literally saves Rose’s life at the last moment.
Then they go off and have fun together. There is a lot of ship to explore, and there is a beautiful necklace called the Heart of the Ocean that could end up in anybody’s hands. The third of the movie where the ship sinks will absolutely have you on the edge of your seat. Wondering who will survive and who will meet their demise helps to make the end of Titanic as exciting as it gets.
If you haven’t seen Titanic yet, you at least owe it to yourself to find out what it is about. If you have seen it and already, and know you love it, then this is the version for you. With over 15 hours of video extras, it has commentaries, documentaries, behind-the-scenes specials, and a whole lot more.
Bonus Features (4K UHD):
- Commentary: Director Commentary by James Cameron (2005)
- Commentary: Cast and Crew Commentary (2005)
- Commentary: Historical Commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall (2005)
Bonus Features (Blu-ray Disc):
- Documentary: Titanic: Scenes from the Heart
- Documentary: Reflections on Titanic
- Documentary: Titanic: 25 Years Later with James Cameron
- Deleted Scenes: Five deleted scenes with an introduction and commentary by James Cameron
- Behind-the-Scenes Presentation Hosted by Producer Jon Landau
- Additional Behind the Scenes
- Deep-Dive Presentation Narrated by James Cameron
- $200,000,001: A Ship’s Odyssey (The Titanic Crew Video)
- Visual Effects – breakdowns of four effects-heavy scenes
- Trailer Presentation Hosted by Jon Landau
- Music Video “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
- Still Galleries
Bonus Features (Physical Extras):
- Exclusive Perfect Bound Hardcover Coffee Table Book – details a few of the major scenes with behind-the-scenes photographs
- Exclusive Detailed Ship Schematic – a map of where specific scenes play out on the ship
- Reproductions of Movie Props – includes a boarding pass, a Launch Viewing Ticket, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Class Menus, notes from Rose to Cal and Jack to Rose.
- Sheet Music – the multi-award-winning song “My Heart Will Go On”
Titanic 25th Anniversary is the perfect gift for the Titanic lover in your life.