At long last, “can” and “must” meet on the graph, as ROBOT MONSTER, the most demented, delirious, and delightful 3-D film of the Golden Age arrives in a showcase edition loaded with out-of-this-world extras!
A cosmic catastrophe has wiped out humanity, and now the last six survivors must outwit that strangely iconic alien menace, Ro-Man (George Barrows). Taking orders from the pitiless Great Guidance, Ro-Man wavers in his pursuit of human annihilation when he falls in love with a girl (Claudia Barrett). Can dashing young Roy (George Nader) save her? Independently photographed in less than a week on location in Bronson Canyon, the Tru-Stereo photography is comparable to the major studio 3-D productions of the time. And to mark the milestone 70th anniversary of this all-time sci-fi classic, the 3-D version of ROBOT MONSTER has been painstakingly and masterfully restored from complete 35mm archival 3-D elements by the talented archivists at the 3-D Film Archive, the leading experts in vintage stereoscopic film restoration.
This is your opportunity to finally see the incredible Ro-Man as director Phil Tucker intended — in the miracle of Tru-Stereo Three Dimension!
The ROBOT MONSTER Blu-ray restoration is presented in both BD3D (for those with the necessary equipment) and compatible anaglyphic 3-D which will play on any system or monitor, plus in standard 2-D as well. In addition, one pair of red/cyan anaglyphic glasses is included.
3-D BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE
- STARDUST IN YOUR EYES (1953) – Robot Monster’s original prologue starring Slick Slaven aka Trustin Howard. New 4K scan from the left/right 35mm master positives.
- MEMORIES OF A POOPED-OUT PINWHEEL (2022) – Greg Moffett shares his personal recollections of filming on location over a period of four days in March 1953.
- TRAVELS THROUGH TIME & SPACE (2023) – Newly curated vintage slide presentation from Stereoscopic Anthropologist, Hillary Hess
- ADVENTURES IN 3-D (1953) – Newly restored Golden Age 3-D Comic Book, presented in association with Carl Scheckel at Carl’s Comix.
- Plus additional trailers, vintage shorts, and a restoration demo!
2-D BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE
- SAVING SLICK (2023) – Sean Thrunk’s new documentary short explains how 1950’s nightclub comedian Slick Slaven is reminded of his long-forgotten act and identity when his lost 3-D film is revived in 2003.
- JOE DANTE, TRAILERS FROM HELL (2013) – 1956 MONSTER FROM MARS reissue trailer hosted by Joe Dante, courtesy of Trailers from Hell
- MISTAKES & INNOVATIONS (2023) – Bob Furmanek describes the original day-for-night footage and Phil Tucker’s innovative use of “Double Film” aka “3-D Blinkey.”
- RESCUING RO-MAN (2023) – This documentary short by filmmaker Sean Thrunk tells how an accidental discovery of two forgotten 35mm prints in 1990 saved the only complete 3-D footage.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY TRACK (2022) with Greg Moffett, Mike Ballew, Eric Kurland and Lawrence Kaufman.
- WAS I A MAN (2022) – New song by The Other Favorites, aka Josh Turner and Carson McKee, played during the post-feature restoration credits and memorabilia gallery.
- MEMORABILIA GALLERY (2023) – Created by Charles Barnard with original newspaper ads, posters, lobbycards and publicity photographs.
- BELA LUGOSI – YOU ASKED FOR IT (July 27, 1953) – Appearance on live television, newly restored.