Press release: Long Beach Comic Expo is unveiling legendary guests and buzzworthy panels, as well as innovative programs and new partners, in preparation for the 6th annual Long Beach Comic Expo, to be held at the Long Beach Convention Center on February 28 and March 1, 2015. The Expo will play host to more than 140 guests and 50 panels and, for the first time, it will be held in the full exhibit hall.
Long Beach Comic Expo is proud to announce bestselling writer Chris Claremont and bestselling artist Ethan Van Sciver as the Long Beach Comic Expo Guests of Honor. Mr. Claremont has written some of the most beloved and influential comic books of all time; 2015 marks the 40th anniversary of his first issue of THE UNCANNY X-MEN. Mr. Van Sciver is one of the most popular artist in comics; this year marks the 10th anniversary of his iconic work GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH. Both guests will be making their very first appearance at a Long Beach convention. Comic book superstars Arthur Adams (GUARDIANS TEAM UP) and Rachel and Terry Dodson (HARLEY QUINN) are being named Long Beach Comic Expo Special Guests in recognition of their astounding careers as comic book artists.
The convention is proud to recognize the following Special Guests for their commitment to creating stories for kids and young adults across a wide array of media: animation, collectible cards, comics, prose novels, toys and web comics:
- Cecil Castellucci, the young adult novelist (TIN STAR) and writer of the influential YA graphic novel THE PLAIN JANES;
- Steve Ellis, the artist of the young adult webcomic THE ONLY LIVING BOY and MAGIC THE GATHERING cards;
- The Four Horsemen Studio, influential toy designers of Mattel’s Masters of the Universe, The Dark Knight, Harry Potter, DC Universe Classics and Man of Steel toy lines, among others.
- Stan Sakai, the writer/ artist of the award winning USAGI YOJIMBO graphic novels;
- Greg Weisman, acclaimed animation writer and producer (GARGOYLES; YOUNG JUSTICE) and author of the fan favorite RAIN OF GHOSTS YA novels;
- Brian Wood, writer of the influential graphic novels DEMO and THE NEW YORK FOUR.
As in past years, attendees will be treated to a wide array of programming. Highlights include:
- One-on-one creator spotlight panels with Chris Claremont, Sandy King Carpenter, Gerry Conway, Katie Cook, Terry & Rachel Dodson, Stan Sakai, Richard Starkings and Ethan Van Sciver hosted by EAT GEEK PLAY.
- Publisher panels hosted by Jesse Snider, including the 40th anniversary of X-men celebration, Lion Forge & IDW Publishing Presents Miami Vice: Remix, and much more.
- Panels for Buffy The Vampire Slayer Comics and Star Wars Rebels: Kanan the Last Padawan comics.
- The Dawn of the Rise of the Devastator: Funny Books for Humans panel, with writers from Cracked, CollegeHumor, Funny or Die, The Meltdown and The Onion.
- #MakeComics workshops where aspiring writers and artists and fans can learn the entire process of making comics from comic book greats all weekend long. Topics include How to Build a Portfolio, Breaking Into Comics, Writing and Marketing.
- The first ever Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity event with keynote speaker Reginald Hudlin.
- Amazing animation panels: DISNEY AFTERNOON, GARGOYLES, GI JOE, and YOUNG JUSTICE, featuring major voice actors.
- Major media panels including Rotten Tomatoes and Screen Junkie’s Honest Trailers & Movie Fights
- A special screening of the upcoming Magnet Releasing film THE DEAD LANDS.
- GeekFest Film Fest films at Long Beach Comic Expo, the only Los Angeles area venue to host the full slate of programming for the world’s 1st traveling film fest of “geek” films.
- The Dollar Baby Film Festival.
- The comic book convention premiere of the SHE MAKES COMICS documentary.
- Publishing panels devoted to YA & crime novelists.
- Kids programming including How To Draw My Little Pony.
- Scholastic, the global children’s publishing, education and media company, will commence its celebration of 10 years of the groundbreaking Graphix imprint and participate in a panel with acclaimed cartoonists Jennifer L. Holm and James Burks and other creators.
- A Saturday night Cosplay Contest and Cosplay panels.
Enjoy an exciting weekend full of exceptional guests, exhibitors, and engaging panels, at Long Beach Comic Expo, Saturday, February 28 from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm and Sunday, March 1 from 10:00 am - 5:00 PM at the Long Beach Convention Center. Tickets are available now at www.longbeachcomicexpo.com.